Click on “Easy-to-Read Drug Facts” (the teal icon¹ below) to learn more about substance abuse and addictions, including:
- Commonly abused drugs (in detail). Alcohol, Bath Salts, Cocaine (Coke and Crack), Heroin, Marijuana (Weed, Pot), MDMA (Ecstasy, Molly), Meth (Crack, Ice), Pain Medication (Oxy, Vike), Spice (K2), Tobacco and Nicotine, and others drug abuse
- What is Addiction? What are the signs and symptoms of someone with a drug use problem? How Does Drug Use Become an Addiction? What Makes Someone More Likely to Get Addicted to Drugs? Does Addiction Run in Families?
- Effects of Drugs. Drug Use and Other People, Drug Use and Families, Drug Use Hurts Kids, Drug Use Hurts Unborn Children, Drug Use and Your Health, Other Effects on Body, Drug Use Hurts Brains, Drug Use, and Mental Health Problems Often Happen Together, The Link Between Drug Use and HIV/AIDS
- Treatment and Recovery. Why Does a Person Need Treatment? Does Drug Treatment Work? What are the Treatment Options? What is Recovery? What is Relapse? How Can Friends and Family Help? Where Can Someone Find Treatment and Recovery Resources?
- Prevention. Help Children and Teens Stay Drug-Free, Talking to Kids About Drugs: What to Say if You Used Drugs in the Past, Drug Use Prevention Phone Numbers and Websites
Click on “Nida for Teens-the Science Behind Drug Abuse” (the black icon² below). Separate sections for Teens, Teachers, and Parents to learn more about:
- Drug Facts. Drug Use and the Brain
- Prescription Drug Abuse. By teens
- Interactives, Games, & Videos. Games, “Drug IQ Challenge,” “CSI Web Adventure,” videos of teens, and much more
- Drug and Health Blog. Articles on Naloxone, “Truth in Social Media,” Prince, opioids; tips for coping with stress; and much more
- Downloads. Make own t-shirts, screen savers and more
- Parent Section. “Drugs & Your Kids,” Scientific Facts about Drugs, and Drug Abuse Treatment
- Teacher Section. Science-Based Resources, Lesson & Activity Finder, and More (Lessons and activities on drugs, drug use, and life skills from Scholastic), Order Free Materials, Videos for Students, Easy to Read Site, Infographics
“Drugs & Health – NIDA’s Blog for Teens”³ – created by the National Institute on Drug Abuse to help teens with substance abuse and addictions. (Click on the green icon below for past articles. The most recent articles are listed below the icon.)
Some of the past articles you can find when clicking on the green icon below:
You Can Help Reduce the Opioid Crisis
E-Cigs Are Risky-Whatever They Look Like
Teen Drug Use is Down-But Teen Overdoses Are Up
Drug Use and Mental Health Problems: What’s the Connection?
Fentanyl: A Big Danger in Small Amounts
Teen Researcher Asks: Why Do E-Cigs Harm the Lungs?
E-Cigarettes: Inhaling More than You Bargained For
A Look Inside the Teen Brain: ABCD Study Update
How Do Drugs Get Into a Person’s Hair
You Said It: “My Parents Do Not Understand My Stress”
How Do Drugs Change Your Brain? Test Your Knowledge
Let’s Shatter the Myths About Drugs
Out of Control: Opioids and the Brain
Drugs and HIV/AIDS: Linked in More Ways Than One
K2/Spice: An Unpredicted Danger
Bullying Hurts. You Can Help
TV and Tobacco: A Dangerous Match
by The NIDA Blog Team on January 21, 2020 at 12:37 pm
It's becoming more common to see characters in TV programs smoking on screen. What does that mean for teens and tobacco use? Read More »
Can You Get Addicted to Cough and Cold Medicines?
by The NIDA Blog Team on January 13, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Cough and cold medicines taken as instructed can be safe and effective. But misusing them can have harmful results. Read More »
The Year in Drugs and Health News: 2019 Blog Roundup
by The NIDA Blog Team on January 6, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Check out all of the addiction science updates that we shared on the blog in 2019. Read More »
Monitoring the Future 2019: The Highs and Lows of Vaping
by The NIDA Blog Team on December 18, 2019 at 1:03 pm
The annual survey found that teens' use of most drugs continues to decline—with one alarming exception. Read More »
Plan Your Activity for National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week®: Take the Drug Facts Challenge!
by The NIDA Blog Team on December 16, 2019 at 1:03 pm
Take the Drug Facts Challenge and learn the facts about drugs and alcohol. Read More »
¹ ² ³ (all three icons): National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services